Saturday, November 27, 2010

Red Owl

I happened across the most adorable logo the other day, as I was randomly typing words into google search.  It's for the Red Owl grocery store...
 So of course this made me want to find one and shop there, but alas, I think I may never have this opportunity.  I'll let you read the Wikipedia definition:


Red Owl was a grocery store chain in the United States, headquartered in Hopkins, Minnesota. Founded in 1922, it was initially owned and operated by Gamble-Skogmo,[1] opening its first store in Rochester, Minnesota that year[2]. It eventually had stores throughout the upper Midwest, opening a store in Bismarck, North Dakota in 1927[3]. The chain briefly expanded into the Chicago area starting in late 1959, but in 1963 sold its Chicago area operations to National Tea Company. In 1980, Gamble-Skogmo was acquired by Wickes Corporation, which sold the chain to three executives of the chain in January 1986.[4]. At that time, the company operated 441 stores in Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and North and South Dakota. In December 1988, the rights to the Red Owl name were obtained by grocery wholesaler Supervalu Inc.[5]
As of November 2010, there was one Red Owl Grocery stores remaining: Masons Red Owl in Green Bay, Wisconsin.[5]
The start of the Mary Tyler Moore television show has the lead character in a Red Owl meat department.

I don't think I will find myself in Wisconsin anytime soon.  The photograph below is of a Red Owl in North Dakota, back in the day.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. Thank you for posting! I grew up with one of those in Moorhead, MN, and it makes me think of my grandparents and their old house. My wife and daughter needed me to stencil an owl for a team logo and I instantly thought of Red Owl so I'm trying to help carry it on! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i remember one in Moorhead, as well. i want to say it was near the interstate, if my memory serves me correctly.

      Delete