Thursday, September 30, 2010

Rainy Day Muffins

As I awoke this morning I was lured into consciousness by the radio weather announcer warning of heavy rain, strong winds, and flash flooding.  What better day to bake?
This recipe is for a quick bread loaf, but since I still have a potato gratin dish leftover in my fridge contained in my bread pan, I decided muffins were in order.

Cranberry Orange Bread

2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup orange juice
grated rind of one orange
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp hot water
1 cup raw whole cranberries

Combine dry ingredients, flour through  sugar, in a large mixing bowl, set aside.  Mix beaten egg with orange juice, rind, butter and hot water.  Fold flour mixture into egg mixture until blended.  Do not beat.  Gently fold in cranberries.  Spoon into a greased loaf pan (or muffin tin.)  Bake 325F for 60min. 
(Or 35-40 for muffins)  Test with toothpick.  Cool on rack 15 min. before removing from pan.

I love the subtle orange flavor of these, and they are so good warm with some butter.
The perfect rainy day pick-me-up.


1 comment: